This week started off slowly with some minor framing work. Wednesday was crane day. When I left for work the truck delivering the trusses had arrived and the crane was manoeuvring into position. Pretty amazing that our entire roof structure came on the back of one truck.
I asked my mum to walk up and take some photos throughout the day. By around 2pm all the trusses had been craned into position and secured. Super quick!
Nothing much happened the rest of the week. We had a good view of a fire in the mountains (hopefully controlled burning?). We went for a walk this weekend and saw a house only a few hundred metres away from us with excellent hedge game. That is some serious garden inspiration, and we'll have to put our thinking hats on to come up with a garden design for the current dustbowl (it's currently like walking on the surface of the moon).
Next week we are looking forward to some roofing materials to keep the rain out, and we have our first design confirmation meeting with the cabinet maker. Just a kitchen, three bathrooms, laundry and walk-in robe to sign off - I'm sure that will be stress-free...
When I was leaving for work at 7am on Monday morning, the builders had already started removing the roof tiles. By lunch, they were gone. The builders have stacked the tiles in our front yard, and we will be putting them back on the new roof. We like the 'not so new' look of the lichen covered roof tiles... people pay good money for those years of neglect and we got it for free.
The rafters came down the following day, and by the end of the week we could really get feel for our future living space, albeit full of stacks of timber. We measured out our new indulgent king bed and realised our master bedroom is huge, which we were nervous about.
Other than watch our beautiful character bungalow disappear this week, we had to sign off on our window and door order. We decided to only install new timber windows on the front facade, the sides and rear elevation will be aluminium. The glazing is semi-commercial with a chunky frame, so they shouldn't look too out of place on an old house, and the best bit is we won't have to paint them, ever!
We luckily realised that we would have been able to wave from our ensuite to the main bathroom, so we have changed our ensuite glass to frosted before it was too late.
Next week we hope to see some progress on the upper floor framing and even the roof. The builder orders the roof from a truss manufacturer, so it should go up fairly quickly.
Some major changes this week - and lots of photos!
I've put them in sequential order. The site was really busy this week with 6-8 guys working most days. I was sick, and working from home this week, so I was able to walk up the street to take a look each day.
Monday saw the block piers go up on the entry porch and sleepout bathroom. These will get a rough render finish to match the existing render above. The bricklayers built two piers too wide, which is shown in one of the photos, so this will need to be cut back. It's important for us to have a snoop around each night to pick these small issues up early.
Upstairs, the flooring was filled in where the old staircase came out, and more weatherboard came off the existing structure.
The scaffolding went up this week, and it's huge, hence the title. It looks like a commercial building. The upper deck was assembled, and we're mentally placing furniture already! There's also a couple selfie (couplie?) in there, and a photo of the sunset that we'll be enjoying from the deck in 6 months.
This week there weren't many dramatic changes to the exterior. The ground floor deck structure was finished and concreted in. The weatherboard was removed from our old kitchen upstairs, which will be extended to become our master bedroom.
When we were raising the house, the bathroom on the right side (in the old sleep out) was not structurally sound, so it came down. The floor framing for that room went in this week, we are rebuilding that bathroom as it was, which is a condition on our development approval. It will probably be the only room with level floors!
Inside some changes were made - the interior VJ walls came down, so we now have an idea of what our open plan living/dining will be like. There are posts still (to hold up the roof) but we can now see the space. There is a large hole in the floor where our staircase was, which is being filled in. It's very dusty inside!!!