When I was leaving for work at 7am on Monday morning, the builders had already started removing the roof tiles. By lunch, they were gone. The builders have stacked the tiles in our front yard, and we will be putting them back on the new roof. We like the 'not so new' look of the lichen covered roof tiles... people pay good money for those years of neglect and we got it for free.
The rafters came down the following day, and by the end of the week we could really get feel for our future living space, albeit full of stacks of timber. We measured out our new indulgent king bed and realised our master bedroom is huge, which we were nervous about.
Other than watch our beautiful character bungalow disappear this week, we had to sign off on our window and door order. We decided to only install new timber windows on the front facade, the sides and rear elevation will be aluminium. The glazing is semi-commercial with a chunky frame, so they shouldn't look too out of place on an old house, and the best bit is we won't have to paint them, ever!
We luckily realised that we would have been able to wave from our ensuite to the main bathroom, so we have changed our ensuite glass to frosted before it was too late.
Next week we hope to see some progress on the upper floor framing and even the roof. The builder orders the roof from a truss manufacturer, so it should go up fairly quickly.