The house raising crew have been busy installing the steel beams under the house all week. This is the first delivery of the project, up until now it has all been demolition, so this is very exciting.
Part of the plan is to move the house forward on the block, to create a bit more space by the pool. On Friday we realised that there was an error in our plans that meant the surveyor had marked out for the house to go too far forward. It took a few panicked phone calls from me on Friday at 5.30pm (which is not what a builder wants) to come up with a plan to fix it. We’re just lucky that we noticed before it became an expensive job to move it again into the right spot.
Our air-conditioning plan is driving us nuts – ducted air conditioners sound great but they are not as flexible as we’d like, and they use a lot of power if we just want one or two rooms to be cooled at night. I think we’ve come up with the best solution, but it will be a hit to the budget. Hopefully we can recover some of that through lower running costs.
Hopefully the new steel beams will make it feel a bit safer to walk around in the house, with a few less creaks and groans from the floor.
Our builder has been pressuring us for paint colour decisions. Painting seems impossibly far away at this point, but they want as many decisions as possible made in advance, so we don’t hold them up down the line. I think we’ve narrowed down a colour palette.
Leave a Reply.