We had originally chosen a granite coping tile and mosaic waterline tile for our pool. We would have done granite on the whole pool surround slab, but we couldn't afford it. At the last minute our builder suggested just using the porcelain tile right up to the edge of the pool - and grinding back the edge so that it has a slight bullnose. We're glad that they made that suggestion because now that it is in, it looks seamless. The tiles still need to be trimmed to the pool shape and bullnosed, but they have already made the pool look new (we think).
Inside, the electricians were ready for our pendant lights and chandeliers (but we weren't quite ready, whoops). Over the weekend I spray painted one of the original light fittings in the house; the surface was in bad condition, but we liked the shape so it got a fresh coat of paint and now it's as good as new. I also painted a big wall light for our front entrance - it's new but we didn't love the faux-antique brass colour, so that got a matching paint job. I had to re-wire the old pendant, harvesting the materials and fittings from a $20 pendant kit from Bunnings.
We opened the box of our new designer chandeliers - I knew we would have to assemble them but didn't realise that they needed to be wired also. Might leave that job for the electricians.
Back outside and the landings off the back deck have been built - to accommodate the stairs down to the pool area. The carport has been roofed, and the formwork is nearly finished for the concrete driveway, carport slab and pathways around the sides.