After it rained for the first two days of the week, the crew finally started moving the house forward on Wednesday.
No high-tech hydraulics here, just good old bar soap. They got the house up on the jenga blocks, and then they rubbed bar soap on the top block to lubricate it, so the steel beams could slide along. The house was pushed forwards by an excavator, and it’s as simple as that!
It took two days to move the house forward into the correct position, it’s a large square house so getting it to move in a straight line would have been difficult.
The raise happened all in one day! We’re lucky that our neighbour across the road allowed us to set up our iPhone for a time lapse video of the raise.
It’s so tall! We had to take a photo next to it for scale. We can’t wait to get inside to see the view of the city and out to Mt Coot-tha.
I think that once the sleepout on the right hand side is re-built (it fell over) and the carport is attached, it will look better, at the moment it looks comical.
On Wednesday this week Michael and I went out to IKEA to look at some options for storage, and got to thinking about our walk in wardrobe layout. We’ve currently got a U-shape, which means there are two corners in a relatively small space. We got out the tracing paper and came up with some different options that allowed some more usable space. The framing hasn’t been done, so hopefully this is an easy change to make. It will also mean that the door to the ensuite will line up with the vanity, which will make for a more elegant entrance. I think we’ll end up buying IKEA wardrobe units and fitting them in to make them look as custom as possible, much more affordable than having the fittings tailor made. We have to pay for that roof somehow!
I think the next thing to happen will be the downstairs floor slab, and steel posts to hold the house up.